Showing off beautiful, strong legs can be a source of confidence for many. More importantly, our legs help us get around so keeping them healthy and functioning is crucial. Leg health is more than leg day at the gym — it also includes ensuring your veins are working properly. If you find yourself covering your legs due to spider veins or suffer from painful varicose veins, seeking treatment can improve the quality of your life while also protecting your vein health.
At Suburban Vein Center, our Michigan vein specialist offers effective varicose vein and spider vein treatment to not only restore patients’ confidence but also relieve them of leg and ankle pain. We proudly serve Michigan patients in Ann Arbor, Farmington Hills, Sterling Heights, and the surrounding areas thanks to our convenient offices in Detroit, Troy, Rochester, and Taylor, MI.
The Formation of Varicose Veins
Our veins are a type of blood vessel that takes blood that’s in need of oxygen back to our hearts. Veins have little valves that keep the deoxygenated blood flowing in the right direction. If the valves become damaged or weakened they aren’t able to prevent the blood from flowing backward. This can cause the blood to pool in the vein, leading to the occurrence of spider and varicose veins.
Varicose veins are larger veins that have become swollen and twisted due to the pooling of blood and appear bulgy and bumpy. They often occur in the legs and ankles and can be uncomfortable and painful for patients.
Spider veins are smaller veins that have twisted in on themselves due to damaged valves. They commonly appear on the legs, but can also appear on the face as well. Typically, spider veins aren’t painful or harmful to the patient but many find it a cosmetic issue due to their red, purple, or blueish hue. That being said, if you have spider veins accompanied by pain, it’s important to schedule a consultation with our Michigan vein specialist as it could be a sign of a deeper issue.
In either case, Dr. Zmily and the dedicated staff at Suburban Vein Center offer vein treatments in Michigan designed to eliminate problematic veins without pain.
Vein Treatment Options
The traditional method for treating varicose veins was “vein stripping” which involved a heavily invasive surgery where the entire vein is surgically removed at once. This outdated method results in a long recovery time and is often very painful for patients. At Suburban Vein Center, we believe that improving your vein health shouldn’t be a risky, painful process. We offer the latest in technology to ensure our treatments are accurate, virtually painless, and effective.
Vascular Ultrasound Studies
Vascular ultrasound studies treatment in Michigan:
- Involves the use of a small probe and ultrasound gel placed directly on the skin
- Allows us to pinpoint any blockages in veins or arteries and check for blood clots
- Requires little to no preparation
- Wear comfortable clothing, preferably shorts
- Non-invasive procedure
- Takes only 30-45 minutes
Venous Ablation Therapy
We offer venous ablation therapy at Suburban Vein Center:
- In most cases, venous ablation results in the permanent removal of varicose veins because it effectively removes the refluxing source of the disease
- It offers immediate relief to patients who have undergone the procedure
- There will be no visible scarring as the procedure involves making a very small incision that doesn’t need to be stitched closed
- It has fewer complications compared with vein stripping techniques
- After the procedure, patients can return to normal activities with little to no pain in the treated area
- The procedure doesn’t require an overnight stay in a hospital
Our microphlebectomy treatment benefits include:
- It’s minimally invasive
- It requires little downtime, so you can return to your daily activities after the procedure
- Shorter recovery period
- Long-term results without visible scarring
- Performed on an outpatient basis
Sclerotherapy treatment in Michigan:
- Procedure performed by injecting a solution into the vein(s)
- A session lasts generally under an hour but may take several treatments to complete
- Able to return to normal activities on the same day
- Will require compression sock or bandages for up to 2 weeks post-procedure
- It may take a few weeks to a few months to see the effects
Risks of Untreated Varicose Veins
While spider veins are largely a cosmetic issue (unless accompanied by leg pain), varicose veins can pose serious issues to your health if left untreated. Varicose veins can lead to ulcers, skin discoloration, and bleeding. They can also increase your risk of developing blood clots which can not only damage many of your internal organs but also lead to stroke, heart attack, and even death. In certain cases, varicose veins can be an indication of chronic venous insufficiency which can impact your veins’ ability to get the blood back to your heart.
Seeking varicose vein treatment early can protect your overall health which is why the experts at Suburban Vein Center offer minimally invasive solutions. That way you can get the quality care you deserve without having to experience severe pain or long recovery times.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a parent or relative with varicose veins you’re more prone to develop them, careers that require prolonged standing or injury can cause varicose veins in men and women, and for ladies, the hormones estrogen and progesterone, as well as pregnancy, can be risk factors for developing varicose veins.
Unfortunately, varicose veins won’t go away on their own. While there are things you can do to improve your vein health, varicose veins and spider veins can only be treated through professional intervention from a certified cardiologist like Dr. Zmily. If left untreated, they can even worsen over time and lead to a host of health problems.
Luckily at the Suburban Vein Center, our experts offer easy, effective solutions for both spider veins and varicose veins. Call one of our offices today to receive high-quality vein treatment in Michigan.
While genetics can play a role in your vein health, maintaining healthy veins is done through daily activities, including:
- Be mindful of your diet. Keeping your sugar consumption in moderation can prevent plaque buildup in the veins. As well, eating foods high in Vitamin C and Vitamin K can improve your vein health as well.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking water strengthens the muscles surrounding your veins and improves your blood circulation.
- Elevate your legs a few minutes a day. Keeping your legs elevated at least higher than the hip level for a few minutes at the start or end of the day can help relieve pressure on your legs as well as help with circulation.
- Wearing compression stockings. If you’re prone to vein issues, compression stockings can be a great way to improve circulation and vein health. They contract the muscles around your veins throughout the day which can help drive the deoxygenated blood back to the heart.
- Avoid smoking. The chemicals in cigarettes make it harder for your heart and veins to function properly.
- Take walking breaks every 90 minutes of sitting or standing. Standing or sitting for extended periods of time can not only put extra pressure on your legs but also hinder your leg circulation. Walking works similarly to compression stockings as they increase the tightening of muscles surrounding the veins and it can be an easy way to keep your circulation moving.
Diseased veins that are stretched out from the blood vessel valves being leaky are called varicose veins. After a time, the valves can wear out, and this causes the blood to leak backward. After each pump of the heart, the blood goes up the leg, then some leaks backward because the valve doesn’t close.
It can lead to swollen ankles, leg pain, rash, restless leg syndrome, and blood clots. People can be genetically predisposed, or it can happen after trauma, jobs that require prolonged standing, pregnancy, and obesity.
Ultrasound uses sound waves to visualize below the skin and can measure the flow of fluids. For varicose veins, symptoms are the first criteria to diagnose them, and then an ultrasound is ordered. If the veins are dilated enough, most insurances pay for treatment because varicose veins can lead to blood clots, which would be far more serious.
Quality Vein Solutions in Michigan
If you’re seeking a solution for unsightly spider veins or painful varicose veins, our vein doctor Dr. Zmily and the team at Suburban Vein Center are here to offer relief. We provide patients throughout Michigan in Ann Arbor, Farmington Hills, Sterling Heights, and the surrounding areas with pain-free, effective vein treatment.
If you’d like to learn more about our treatment options or are ready to schedule your complimentary vein exam, give us a call at (248) 480-0368, we have offices conveniently located in Detroit, Troy, Rochester, and Taylor, MI. Or fill out our convenient online contact form located at the bottom of this page and we’ll be happy to reach out to you.
We Got You Covered!
Treatments are covered by most insurances & Medicare.
Minimally invasive procedures
Treatments options can be one hour or less
Four locations to serve you
No sedation. Return to work the same day